Becoming a Candidate:Young people born and raised in the Weyr have the opportunity to stand on the Hatching Sands at their discretion, within the limits of Candidate eligibility.
Others must be accepted as a Candidate by a Search dragon. Searches can be done on arrival at Arolos Weyr, or on official Search. A Search can be confirmed by the Candidate presenting an Arolos Search token if they have to delay arrival.
Basic Requirements for Candidates:
1. Candidates must be in excellent physical and mental health before they will be allowed to Stand.
2. Candidates are to be between the ages of 12 and 23, unless chosen when beyond these boundaries by a Search dragon. Applicants above or below the age limits must discuss Candidacy with the Weyrleader, Weyrwoman, Candidate Master, and Weyrling Master.
Candidates under the age of 12 will not be allowed to stand on the Hatching sands. There will be no exceptions.
3. No person with a criminal history will be allowed to stand.
4. Candidates will be assigned daily chores by the Headwoman, in addition to their classes assigned by the Candidate Master. The same obedience and respect will be shown to the Headwoman, and the other support staff, as is shown to the Candidate Master and other Riders.
5. All Candidates will be housed in the Candidates' Barracks, and will be subject to the rules thereof for one full turn- rare exceptions can be made for Candidates transferring from other Weyrs at Candidate Master's discretion.
6. After one full turn of lessons, chores, and living in the barracks the Candidate will be expected to go into their Craft full time, and make themselves available to return to the barracks when requested for various meetings. Also, all non-barrack Candidates will be expected to return to the barracks and spend one seven day there prior to each hatching, taking part in lessons and chores as assigned. (Because of this, please make a note of when your Candidate enters Candidacy so you can play accordingly when their turn in the barracks is up.)
Where you will be living as a Candidate
The Arolos Candidate Barracks are designed to sleep up to a 214 Candidates on the first floor at any given time. On the second floor there are rooms for 197 more Candidates, though it is rare to have that many at one time the room is needed for all the non-barrack Candidates when they return before each hatching. The barracks stretch beneath the Weyr wall having a Weyrside and a Holdside entrance, though the Holdside entrance is locked at night. Essentially it is a semi open dormitory but it has partitions that separate the main area into sections that contain four cots per section. These are not closed area's but give the illusion of some privacy with privacy screens and of course wall space.
Also adjoining the Barracks are two large Bathing Pools, one to the left, one to the right and latrines. The center of the Barracks has an exit to the Dining Hall and the corridors of the main Weyr on the right side. On the left, near the entrance for the Barracks is a normal corridor that extends to the Candidate Masters Office. Usually people walk outside as it is more pleasant but if the weather is bad they can come through the internal route.
There are four storage cupboards for cleaning materials as part of the Candidates duties is to keep the Barracks clean, and there is a wheeled trolley on which sacks of Laundry are dumped. Someone who draws the short straw wheels this down twice a sevenday to the Lower Caverns.If you get things dirty in the meantime you wash them yourself.
There is a highly prized and jealously guarded small stove towards the back of the Barracks, that is usually the responsibility of some of the older Candidates, and is used to brew klah or for heat if the temperature drops rapidly - officially. It gets used for other things in reality, and frankly it much quicker to run down and get a fresh jug of klah than it is to light up the stove and then boil water and THEN make Klah. But that's not the point.
Each Candidate selects a cot, and has a lockable chest at the base of the cot and a small chest of drawers for any belonging and clothes. Above the bed hangs a slate board for notes and reminder and for workings out. If a Candidate comes to the Weyr with valuables or marks, then these are put in the more substantial Cupboard in the Barracks to which only the Candidate Master and the Assistants have a key. The Candidate has to request access to the equivalent of their deposit box and sign it out, and sign it back in again.
Right at the Weyrside entrance of the Barracks the timetable is up on the massive board, along with any announcements. The Candidates are expected to check this every morning in case their Chore group has been shifted around or there is something important. There is also room for more frivolous messages or adverts. As this in the entrance it is a very prominant and frequented feature of the Barracks.
Candidate Barracks First Floor Rough Layout
Candidate Barracks Second Floor
Each candidate will be given on signing in;
2 sets of Arolos Candidate uniform - A golden yellow and brown colour One set of decent footwear
A set of Candidate knots - they will be expected to make their own afterwards!
A set of the rules for Candidates (A Candidate Handbook you read and return to the Candidate Master(s))
At least one set of Gather clothing if they do not possess any and assorted basics from Stores (underwear, basic shirts for example),
A Cot - complete with a spare bedfur and one pillow, a chest, a slate and writing materials and a small glow.
Anything else they can request from Stores, but that all depends on Nurene's mood as to whether they get them!
In Character Candidate Rules
1. All Candidates will attend their Chore groups and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner unless excused for medical reasons.
2. Candidates will attend all Harper lessons and complete assignments on time.
3. Candidates will not go onto the Hatching Grounds without permission.
4. Candidates will not leave the Weyr without permission - the Candidate Master must know where you are at all times in preparation for Hatching.
5. Candidates are not allowed on to the Weyrling Training grounds or Barracks without supervision, except in the assigned dinner periods.
6. Candidates may drink and have relationships but are encouraged to do so in moderation. Female candidates are reminded that becoming pregnant will jeopardize their position to Stand for a Clutch.
7. All Candidates will refrain from indulging in intercourse for a sevenday before a Hatching is anticipated and the female candidates will undergo a medical examination to ensure they are not pregnant.
8. Candidates are expected to act with the dignity required of Dragonriders to be and conduct themselves accordingly.
9. No fighting. Fighting will result in severe punishment or expulsion from the weyr.
10. Candidates will address other members of the Weyr according to rank unless given permission to use a more familiar form of address.
11. Candidates will be in the Barracks before lights out or face punishment detail unless they have informed the Candidate Master and have obtained permission to be elsewhere.
12. Candidates are responsible for the tidiness and cleanliness of their bed area. Excessive mess will result in punishment detail.
13. Candidates will not enter the Candidate Masters office if it is unoccupied without express permission.
14. Candidates are required to alert the healers any time they feel sick, lest they jeopardise their Impression status.
15. Personal valuables may only be retrieved from the Barracks Locked Cupboard by fetching the Candidate Master or a Candidate Masters Assistant. Other valuables are the responsibility of the owner.
Please note, these are In Character Rules and if your characters chose to disobey them then this will not get you into trouble with the BoD unless you refuse to play the consequences if you get caught! Any other questions please ask the Candidate Master or the Candidate Masters.
Typical Candidate Schedule:
Twice a sevenday there is a free afternoon and this day varies. During those free afternoons games of Hookball/Swimming/Hiking and various other organized activities can take place.
Chore Board will look something like this, and you will all be told what group you are in:
Kitchen Chores include following any instructions the Headwoman or her Assistants may have for you. Some of those instructions may include helping with the cooking/baking/food preparation. It may also include pot scouring, floor scrubbing, and dishwashing among other things.
Dining Hall Chores include following any instructions the Headwoman or her Assistants may have for you. Some of these instructions may include polishing furniture, scrubbing floors, polishing silverware, filling wall sconces, switching out glows, serving food, etc.
Weyr Chores include following any instructions from the Grounds Keeper and his Assistants. Chores may include sand raking, litter control, grounds keeping (shrubs/trees/grasses- yes, we are in the South the Weyr has them especially around the lake). Also Weyr Chores may include helping to clean various barracks/flightroom. Breaking firestone, washing dragons, etc.
Infirmary Chores include following any instructions given by the Weyrhealer, Healers and their Assistants. Chores may include any of the following patient care as qualified for (bathing, reading, massages, etc), cleaning, laundry (includes all laundry).
First Lessons - Include Harper Lessons which will continue your general education. This is also the time those that do not know how to read and write will learn. During this time also you will have various Candidate lectures.
Second Lessons - Include any craft affiliation you desire to be associated with such as Harper/Healer/Weaver/Metal/Beast/Wood/Creche/Baking - etc. The Second lesson is your opportunity to grow in your prior apprenticeship/journeymanship. It is also a time for you to pursue any occupation you feel you might enjoy if you don't Impress, or choose to stop standing as a Candidate.
All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's fiction are copyrightę Anne McCaffrey 1967,2005, all rights reserved, and used by permission of the author.
The Dragonriders of Pern« is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with permission. Use or reproduction without a license is strictly prohibited.