Entered by: Shirl
Date: 2006-08-25 Relevant to: Arolos and DF
Summary: The Weyrwoman has a lot of responsibility. In this article those responsibilites are touched on. For those interested in what a Weyrwoman should be doing this article should help outline that.
Article: The Weyrwoman like any dragonrider must care for her dragon first and foremost before anything else. Once the needs of her dragon are met, the Weyrwoman has the important job of keeping the Weyr running as smoothly as possible. The Weyrwoman however can only work effectively if she has a good staff. It's very important that she utilize the talents of all those capable of helping her keep the Weyr running efficiently. The following is a list of duties the Weyrwoman has to see to whether personally or by delegation.
Section - 1 Queen's Wing
2. Leads her wing
3. All Goldriders- Help out after Threadfall- assisting healers in calming injured dragons, or dragons of injured riders (possibly both)
Section - 2 Weyr Management Meetings
Schedule meetings for all of the following:
1. Medical stores supplies - Estimate need (Monthly meeting with the Weyrhealer/Weyr DragonHealer)
2. Food stores supplies*
3. Clothes stores supplies*
4. Bedding (pillows/blankets/sheets/furs)supplies*
5. Furniture stores supplies*
6. Cleaning supplies*
9. Tanner- Leather for straps**
11.Beastcraft- Herders** - Herd conditions for
b. Dragon consumption
* - Estimate need - consult Headwoman*/Stores Keeper
**- Monthly meeting with Master/Journeyman in charge
Meetings can be consolidated- Crafters/Headwoman/Stores Keeper. Meetings also used for those attending to bring any concerns they have to the WW's attention.
Please note: Weyrguards are under the management of the Headwoman, not the Weyrleaders and it is her they would go to with any problems/needs. The Headwoman would then bring this up at the monthly meetings.
Section - 3 Weyr Management
Section off Weyr (Spread out over each month) - and inspect each area for proper function.
1. Notes any problems areas- brings them up to Weyrwoman/Weyrleader for review.
2. Talk with each person in charge as well as a visual inspection of areas.
b) Crafters Section - Let's WW know to petition Crafthalls for Journeymen if needed
d) Haven - on diplomatic terms with even though it's autonomous
f) Candidate/Weyrling Barracks
g) Dragonrider Hall
h) Guard Offices/Cells
*please note the WeyrGuards are under the direct authority of the Headwoman though visual inspection of the areas used should be noted for Weyr records.
Section - 4 Flamethrowers
3. Agenothree tanks
4. Training- all Jr. WW
Section - 5 Political Structure
Is kept up to date on current political situation throughout Pern
1. Weyr Politics
2. Hold Politics- how they affect the Weyr
3. Craft Politics- Within/Without the Weyr
Section - 6 Dispute Arbitration
Arbitration in the Weyr - this duty is shared with the Weyrleader
Section - 7 Weyrling Lessons
Gives appropriate lessons to Weyrlings as outlined in Weyrling Guide
Section - 8 Tithing Trains
Keeping Track of the Holds in Arolos protectorate.
1. Arranging for tithes from each hold.
b) Arrange for dragon transport if necessary along with hold representative
c) Establish hold liaison specific to tithe
2. Once tithes arrive WW or representative, Headwoman and Hold representative go through the tithe wagon. Headwoman will make arrangements for storage. Complete list left with WW. Hold representative given guest quarters for the night, to be escorted around by a Weyrguide.
3. Tithes that aren't on time
b) Determine if reason for delay is reasonable. Set new due date.
c) Penalties to ensue if delayed without good cause- consult Weyrleader
Section - 9 Fosterings
1. Handles fosterings - Creche children being fostered within/without the Weyr
2. Interviews those to foster children
Section - 10 Hatchings
1. Weyrwoman is expected to be at all Hatchings. Tries to ensure that everything runs smoothly.
b) Talk with Candidate Master about Candidates.
2. Weyrwoman to kick off Hatching Feast
3. Personally greet each new Weyrling- congratulating them
Section - 11 Visitors to the Weyr
Weyrwoman to make visitors feel welcome, ranking guests given special attention.
1. Dinners at ranker table - harpers/singing/dancing
2. Tour of the Weyr
Section - 12 Filling in Weyr Positions
When any major Weyrfolk (Crafters, Support Staff) position is vacated, the Weyrwoman is responsible for getting it filled.
Section - 13 Records
1. Record Keeper - Delegates various record tasks to record the following:
b) Names of new dragons/partners (visits each one)
c) Mating of Golds - egg production of each queen
d) Deaths of dragons/riders
e) Marriage, birthings and all deaths throughout the Weyr (Visits the Infirmary daily for reports-- visits the sick)
f) All ranks and positions should be updated accordingly (Visits WL office daily to get any updates)
2. Makes sure tasks that are delegated are completed by Jr.Weyrwoman
Section - 14 Gather
1. Announces the beginning of the Mid-Summer Gather for Weyr to go and enjoy
2. Announces the Mid-Summer Gather Dance signaling the end of the Gather
3. Dances with any dignitaries in attendance
Section - 15 Arolos Weyr Protectorate
Responsible for making sure all the Holds in the Protectorate are protected as predetermined by charter.
All references to worlds and characters based on Anne McCaffrey's fiction are copyrightę Anne McCaffrey 1967,2005, all rights reserved, and used by permission of the author.
The Dragonriders of Pern« is registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, by Anne McCaffrey, used here with permission. Use or reproduction without a license is strictly prohibited.